Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

An officer found a baggie with a trace amount of an unknown substance in my purse. The baggie was not mine and I am pretty sure the search of the vehicle and purse were done illegally. How do I defend myself in court?

Asked on 5/26/13, 6:03 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services

It's best if you don't defend yourself in court, but rather retain a private criminal defense lawyer or get a public defender appointed to represent you. Based on the limited information presented here, I'd suggest a goal of keeping your record as clean as possible. What "keeping your record as clean as possible" means is normally not well understood by people without a criminal lawyer explaining. Having a clean record is very valuable, and retaining a good criminal lawyer is cheap in comparison. You can call me with any questions if you like.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/13, 7:03 pm

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. In my view, you should have an attorney assist you in this matter; that is the way you best 'defend yourself in court'. The attorney will discuss with you what exactly happened and will review evidence and documents. The attorney will analyze the matter of your belief that the search was made illegally in light of the facts and circumstances and governing constitutional law. Throughout, the attorney will advocate for your interest. Some attorneys, myself included, are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. All the best.

Read more
Answered on 5/27/13, 7:56 am
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

You should retain experienced legal counsel to review the case and its evidence. Only after a review can defenses be devised.

For a consultation call 612-240-8005.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/13, 9:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota