Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

Is a parole officer in MN allowed to keep me from my family if the charge has nothing to do with them? Is it legal to have the same parole officer that previously violated me and is now bias against me and my family? What do I do if I feel like my family and I are being mistreated?

Asked on 10/02/18, 1:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

The question is not clear since there is not enough to go on. Perhaps a phone call, with dialogue, would be better. Minnesota does not have parole any more. People released from prison, from the Minnesota Department of Corrections at Stillwater, Oak Park Heights, etc., are normally on "supervised release" for some number of months or years. That is different than people who have never been to prison on a case, because they are on "probation." Probation Officers supervise people on "probation" to the court (not DOC). The two are frequently confused, but are so different that understanding that may be a good starting point.

Read more
Answered on 10/02/18, 9:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota