Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

If I got pulled over and the officer found felony amount of marijuana in the vehicle but then I offered to work something out in exchange for the charges. but then after he brought me to the police station and took a brief statement he told me he had to forfeit my 250 dollars that was on me. I convinced him not to and so he gave it back to me and let me go that night in exchange that I would help someone in the task force. And if I didn't he would forward the case to the county. But when he agreed to give me my money he made it seem like he broke a legal procedure or something by not forfeiting it. My question is if I don't call him will he still be able to send my case to county.

Asked on 12/09/13, 9:20 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

You should never speak to the police without speaking to an attorney first. Your statements to him will be used against you unless there is some reason they should be suppressed. You will likely be charged with a felony. You should hire an attorney ASAP to mitigate any damage, if that is possible at this time.

Nathan Hansen


Read more
Answered on 12/09/13, 9:27 am
John Arechigo Arechigo & Stokka, LLP

I agree with Mr. Hansen's advice. Do not, under any circumstances, speak to the police without your attorney. The police are not on your side. They do not care what charges you end up facing, regardless of any promises they made to you.

Police need a legitimate lawful reason before they can stop your vehicle, question you about things unrelated to the reason for pulling you over, and also before they can search your vehicle. If they police did any of these things illegally, you can ask the judge to suppress the evidence against you.

Visit my Blog at for more info on motor vehicle stops and searches.

Read more
Answered on 12/09/13, 9:46 am
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Yes. If you do not call him, you will be charged. In fact, chances are, if you do call him, he will exhaust your usefulness and you will still be charged. Law enforcement cannot make binding agreements not to prosecute and, in fact, they are very careful in most cases, to be very vague about what your assistance will bring. Ultimately, charges are usually filed which means, generally, you should exercise your right to remain silent and hire counsel.

For a FREE legal consultation call 612-240-8005

Read more
Answered on 12/10/13, 6:30 am
Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

You should confer with an attorney right away: You are in need of legal counsel at this time. Tricia Dwyer Esq at 612-296-9666, Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC, Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney,

Read more
Answered on 12/13/13, 1:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota