Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

I was sentenced to 180 days and served 120 with good time I have no time stayed now I'm given a probation violation and they want me to serve another 30 is this right ? Violating probation is a crime and I can be sentenced twice ?

Asked on 9/01/16, 3:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Samuel Edmunds Sieben | Edmunds PLLC

It depends on a few factors. Was this a felony case? Were you given a stay of execution or a stay of imposition? If so, then 180 days was not the full extent of the time that you could potentially serve. You may have additional time hanging over your head.

On the other hand, if the court truly sentenced you to only 180 days, and you served all of it, then the court should be without authority to sentence you to additional time.

You need to have a lawyer take a look at the case to advise you accurately. Feel free to give me a call to discuss 651-994-6744.

Read more
Answered on 9/01/16, 7:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota