Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

My son is 32 years old and at the present time, in jail. He has had a drug problem since he was 15 and all his charges through the years have been due to drugs. We just found out that felony points that he was given as a minor have been carried over into ALL his adult charges-My question is what can be done about this as it is a full felony point that has been used against him as an adult. I appreciate any information you can give me. THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!

Asked on 5/30/14, 12:18 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Samuel Edmunds Sieben | Edmunds PLLC

You asked what can be done about this. That question can only be answered by the attorney that is retained to represent him. There are so many variables involved in these calculations. An aggressive criminal defense attorney should be hired to challenge the evidence and the charges against him, and if necessary, try to negotiate a favorable plea bargain. A motion can also be filed for a downward departure that can achieve a sentence that is lesser than the guidelines sentence based on criminal history points. Good luck.

Samuel J Edmunds


[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 5/30/14, 5:01 am
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

His criminal history and present case would have to be reviewed in their entirety to provide any real assessment. If he does not have counsel, he should retain experienced counsel before proceeding further.

For a FREE consultation call 612-240-8005

Read more
Answered on 5/30/14, 7:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota