Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

I got in trouble for shoplifting yesterday and it was something i didn't go intending to do but with getting over covid and trying to treat my depression on my own was not thinking clearly whatsoever and was delusional. Is there or what is the chance i could contact the officer and just lay it all out and see if they would be willing to hold off submitting charges and let me make amends without court system. The court is the absolute last thing i need right now, while trying to get my life back together and kick the depression. i know what happened was wrong but i was genuinely not myself and i have already setup appointment with by doctor to help get me back on track. I would be more than willing to donate to a charity in the business name or under the police departments name, donate my time anything. I will do whatever to make it right i just cant handle the court and hope and pray that there is a chance of this resolution. Any help, tips feedback anything would be helpful.

So in summary how likley is it an officer would do this, and do they have the discretion to?

Asked on 11/24/21, 5:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

No, that won't work. The root problem if unaddressed and untreated will usually lead to repeat offenses. Therefore, get help for the root causes -- as in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ("CBT"). Then, get a criminal defense lawyer to help you try to keep your record clean of a "forever" public record of conviction for a "crime of dishonesty."

Read more
Answered on 11/25/21, 8:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota