Legal Question in DUI Law in Minnesota

We had a dinner gathering at my place with friends last week, my friends friend took my car keys from my place without my knowledge and got charged with DUI with my car. From what I heard this is not the first time at this situation. I simply woke up the next day as I was leaving the house for work I couldn't find my keys , I called around to all my gusts but nobody had it, except that one person. I called the police and reported missing, after calling several impound lots, I received a phone call three days later from this person. They said they took my car and the sheriff has it, they were driving fast drunk and they were locked up. Now I received a certified mail stating notice of seizure and intent to forfeit vehicle/ property, how can I get my car back? I am the owner and I have a clean record. I don't no this person well not even their last name until I received the notice. Please help, thanks

Asked on 9/28/15, 9:17 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Landon Ascheman Ascheman Law

Go to the Department of Public Safety (DMV) and explain the situation, they can walk you through the steps to get your car back. If you need more assistance, you need to hire an attorney. Keep in mind, you have very limited time to challenge this.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/15, 9:30 am
Rory Durkin Giancola-Durkin Criminal Defense

Call to discuss this situation. You have to file a claim against the car as the registered owner. You may be able to negotiate the forfeiture with the prosecutor but you only have 60 days to file the claim. If you do not reach resolution in the 60 day time frame your only option is to file the claim and litigate. If the car is worth less than 15g you can file in conciliation court. I would be happy to discuss this at 763-421-1441

Read more
Answered on 9/28/15, 9:30 am
Samuel Edmunds Sieben Edmunds Miller PLLC

You can challenge the forfeiture in court. Hire a lawyer to help you. Often we are able to negotiate the return of the vehicle. (651) 994-6744

Read more
Answered on 9/28/15, 9:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Minnesota