Legal Question in Elder Law in Minnesota

vunerable adult

My mother has been with a companion Lou) for 15 years. Not living together! Lou is a vunerable adult that is legally blind and a few other medical issues. Is Children of which he has three, one son and two daughters are not looking out for his best interests. His son has power of attorney and we think has spend all of Lou's money on fancy cars, One daughter verbally abuses him the other daughter just wants to know when his funeral is. Lou has a few health issues and ended up in a nursing home and his son will not sign papers to allow his fahter to live in an assisted living which is where he should be. He is 94 but of sound mind, no dementia or ahlezhimers. Even his docotr has said he could live alone with minimal assistance. Lou is rotting away in this uncaring nursing home and its starting to effect my mothers health. She is 84 years old. Is there anything we can do to help Lou? I know he can change the power of attorney but Lou is so controled by his son we doubt he will do that even though he is suffering in the NH. I am out of country right now. Thank you!

Asked on 4/25/09, 10:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Kaufman Jensen Sondrall & Persellin, P.A.

Re: vunerable adult

Someone could apply for a guardianship and/or conservatorship. You would petition the Court for this to be granted and other interested parties could object if they want.

This is probably the best way to protect someone.

Read more
Answered on 5/05/09, 12:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Minnesota