Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

My ex and I are not agreeing on custody for our 4 year old son. He wants to move out of state to be with his girlfriend and wants joint custody of our son. I don't think that it would be good for a child that age to be traveling back and forth that much. He wants to have him for the summer and I have him for the school year. I would like full custody and to have my child only travel to the other state for two weeks over the summer. Is this reasonable? My sons whole family lives in Minnesota.

Asked on 7/13/11, 10:33 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

It does come down to what is in the best interest of your child and various factors need to be evaluated. There is nothing set in stone, but it is not uncommon a 70-30 split. Only two weeks a year seems to be light on parenting time for the father. Just a thought, but perhaps you should consider holiday visits (i.e. spring break, winter break) in addition to a little more time in the summer. What state he is moving to would also come into play. Obviously, it would be easier to facilitate visits in Wisconsin than in California.

Read more
Answered on 7/13/11, 11:04 am

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

A good question to ask yourself: what if I only got to see my child two weeks a year?

Read more
Answered on 7/13/11, 11:08 am
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Courts make custody decisions based on what they believe to be in the best interests of the child. Although joint custody may not be likely given the distance between the parents, a schedule is certainly likely to be much more significant than two weeks in the summer.

Read more
Answered on 7/14/11, 12:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota