Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

Child Support

I have a 17 year old son, and pay child support to my ex-wife. If I re-married, would my ex-wife be able to go back to court and attempt to increase child support because of my new wife's income combined with mine.

Asked on 9/15/08, 4:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

Re: Child Support

No. Her income would not count toward yours for the purposes of child support. If she had children in the household and you were joining the household, then that could actually decrease your support obligation.

Read more
Answered on 9/15/08, 4:03 pm
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Re: Child Support

No. Under Minnesota Statutes, sec. 518B which addresses child suport in Minnesota, a spouse's income cannot be used to determine child support.

For Minnesota child support issues visit

Read more
Answered on 9/15/08, 10:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota