Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

My husband and I had a fight, and I punched him. My 6 yr. old daughter called 911 because she was scared. (She has never seen us fight.) Child protective services called and said that they wanted to meet with all three of us. I agreed and we scheduled a time. When I picked my daughter up from school to take her home for the meeting, she informed me that she had to go to the principals office and talk to the lady that would be at our house. How can they question my child without my knowledge? Everything has worked out fine so far, my daughter is very honest. But shouldn't we have the right to have someone present during the interview? Whether it be myself, my husband, or our attorney?

Asked on 9/26/11, 7:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Law enforcement and/or child protection are not required to provide advance notice or seek permission to speak to a minor child. The parents must be promptly notified, however, after a child is taken into custody.

For a consultation call 612.240.8005

Read more
Answered on 9/27/11, 9:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota