Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

My husband and I have been separated 2 years now. We have one child in common and I have children from a previous marriage. It is not a legal separation and there is no divorce started or visitation order in place. There is a child support order for $0. Yes that is supposed to be Zero. Our child has lived with me the past 2 years. I have been accepted to four different colleges and plan to start this fall, but they are all out of state. My question is, can I legally move out of state with our son? I know if there were a visitation order I would have to go to court and show that it was in the child's best interests, which it is, I am going back to college and we will be closer to our family, but there is no such order in place. In fact I have invited his father to move with us. He receives SSI so there is basically nothing holding him here.

Asked on 3/09/12, 2:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Melvin Peterson 763-424-6442

Your question cannot be answered without looking at that order to review it contents etc. If you have full custody etc the child is yours as far as many of the rights associated with this situation. The order really needs to be reviewed and probably an attorney needs to review it.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/12, 8:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota