Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

ii live in mn and married a Canadian and now want a divorce. she does not live here and there is not contested. what steps do I need to take and is there anything special about the divorce being as we are not in the same country

Asked on 2/21/17, 1:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. Yes there are things 'special' about divorce when the spouses reside in diff' countries. I urge you to choose and confer with a qualified & well exp'd fam' law att'y at this time so she can provide you with legal advice on this matter. I urge you choose an att'y who is an active member of the MN State Bar Assn Family Law Section of att'ys prof'ls. Know that if you reside in a somewhat remote area, a very few of us att'ys routinely make specials arrangements to provide legal help to such folks. Also, be aware that a very small no. of us att'ys provide ltd' help in family law, with the realities of stressed family finances firmly in mind.

Urge: Beware 'free advice'.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/17, 8:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota