Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

Our Mother passed away in June and I’m concerned about how our Youngest sibling is handling the estate and sale of my Mothers home. She was appointed personal administrator of the estate. She and 2 other siblings have it For sale by owner. They didn’t get it appraised and have decided to price it just under $170,000. A sister and I want it appraised and listed by a realtor so we can have confidence in a sale in a shorter time. We have battled over possessions with the same 3. It’s a no win for us. All their way. My sister also had control of my Mother’s Checkbook to pay final bills and her funeral. There is currently around $30,000. In the account and all bills have been paid. She keeps saying it’s her money now because her name was on the account along with my mothers. The 2 of us believe she will divide this money between the 2 of them and we will be out. We are also afraid they will try to lowball the house and try buying it after it sits on the market through the winter.

What can we do legally to get the 3 of them under control and following my Mothers wishes of everything being divide equally between the 5 of us?

Asked on 9/22/19, 7:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Melvin Peterson 763-424-6442

You can petition the court to remove the personal representative or you can object to way the estate is being handled or you can move the probate into a supervised probate hearing. The only person that can do this is an attorney. It is a complicated process and sometimes costly and less the parties can agree on a equitable and reasonable solution. As stated this gets somewhat complicated and can be costly. This is not a huge estate so I would suggest that the family get together and attempt to resolve these difficulties.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/19, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota