Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I have a pre-trial/motion hearing at 10am this morning. it is regarding custody of my son. His father and I were never married, but he however has temporary custody of our son that I gave him in order to go to voluntary treatment for an eating disorder. ( our relationship is very unhealthy, he is controlling and emotionally/verbally abusive ). We attended court ordered mediation last week and came up with an agreement. However last night he told me he changed his mind, and that he does not agree with our contract anymore. I had a lawyer, but after we agreed in mediation I discontinued services thinking everything would be fine since we were able to compromise. What should I do or how should I prepare for court today since I will not be able to have an attorney present today?!

Asked on 9/12/13, 3:32 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. These are general principles which may or may not be the best action for your personal circumstances. I urge you to seek private attorney counsel who will be able to advise you in light of the full facts and issues involved in your situation. In the courtroom, a party may inform the judge of what has happened, in keeping with rules and agreements to maintain confidentiality of the mediation process. A party may ask the judge to grant a time extension so that the party may seek counsel. You are welcome to contact me.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Twin Ciites, St. Cloud

Phone 612-296-9666 365 Days, until 8 p.m. Daily







Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 5:23 am

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

A pretrial is, generally, to determine what the status of the case may be and to set dates, such as dates to exchange evidence and/or additional pretrial or trial dates. My impression is that the court will want to know if additional mediation is likely to resolve the case. If s, you will likely be sent back to mediate.

I have over 22 years of experience and we offer unbundled services at a lower rate for drafting documents or coaching individuals who decide to represent themselves.

For a consultation call us at 612-240-8005.

Maury D. Beaulier

Attorney at Law

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 8:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota