Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

Me ex wife and I share joint legal and physical custody as part of our divorce. Her home was the children's primary residence. The children have been living with me full-time after she was evicted from her home at the end of May. Since this time, other facts have arisen that have led me to file for full custody.

I do not have a current address for her, she doesn't have a home. I only have her previous address. Neither she or her husband work. Her parents do not know where she is staying. She was collecting public assistance until they cut her off because they could no longer make contact with her. She is still receiving child support, but it is direct deposited. My question is, "How can I have her served with the court papers?"

Asked on 8/16/13, 6:31 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. I suggest you have attorney assistance with this problem. The proper course of action will depend upon the full facts and circumstances. If you are indigent or low income, contact Legal Aid Society as a starting point for help. Otherwise, contact a private attorney who will be happy to assist you. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Phone: 612-296-9666






Read more
Answered on 8/16/13, 6:57 am

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

You would have to file a Motion seeking a court order allowing for substitute service. Substitute service is service by publication. It has some rather complicated rules. You should retain legal counsel.

Maury D. Beaulier

Attorney at Law

(612) 240-8005

Read more
Answered on 8/16/13, 7:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota