Legal Question in Insurance Law in Minnesota

License Suspended After Nonreported Accident

Two and a half years ago I hit a parked car with a 27' moving truck rented to me. I had purchased insurance with my renting agreement. I left a note on the car w/my number. When the lady called me later, she said it was no big deal and she wasn't going to file. So I didn't notify the renting company, and there was no police report. Now, I have received a letter in the mail saying that my license is suspended in WI for nonpayment to her auto insurance. How do I clear this up? Also, I actually live in MN, can I get a MN license? (I've been meaning too earlier, but haven't been able to afford it.) Is it possible to go back nearly 3 years to get the initial insurance I paid to cover the accident? Thanks!

Asked on 3/01/09, 9:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Reiff Reiff Law Office

Re: License Suspended After Nonreported Accident

I am not licensed to practice in Wisconsin. On the MN insurance side, there are two types of policies: claims made and occurrence based. On a claims made policy, the policy covers the claim if the claim is made when the policy is in effect. On an occurrence based policy, the policy covers a claim if the policy was in effect when the incident occurred. It is impossible to know what type of policy you had based on this information. You can always submit the claim to the insurance agent and see what happens.

DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. No such relationship is intended unless and until a retainer agreement is signed by both parties.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/09, 10:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Minnesota