Legal Question in Personal Injury in Minnesota

Auto accident

My sons girlfriend got into an accident in my car in 2002 now the other party involved is attempting to sue me for damages now almost 3yrs later even though the young lady didnt have my permission to drive my car can i still be held liable for this accident?

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Asked on 1/27/05, 11:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Todd Johnson Johnson & Bannon

Re: Auto accident

In Minnesota the owner of a car is as responsible as the driver if the driver has an accident. This might not be true if the driver did not have "permission" to drive the car but our courts look at this very broadly. For instance, if your son had permission to drive the car and let his girlfriend drive, you would be responsible. This is true even if you told your son, no one else can drive but you.

Minnesota also has a 6 year statute of limitations for injury claims so the claim is well within that time. You need to turn the claim over to the car insurance company that you had at the time of the accident. They should handle this matter for you.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/05, 11:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Minnesota