Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Minnesota

I have a brother that has threatened to force sale a cabin in northern Minnesota that was gifted to us 50/50 a number of years ago. I have been trying to get the property assessed etc. for that past few weeks as it is obvious that I will either have to buy his half or we will have to sell the cabin and split the proceeds so I am no even certain why he is threatening me with a forced sale.

The question I have is that he has stopped paying his half of the electric, cabin insurance etc.. over the past few months and I have not paid his half.. and so the bills are only being half paid at this point. I am wondering what I can do about this?

Asked on 5/01/17, 10:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Morgan Kavanaugh Wilkerson & Hegna, PLLP

If you want to force the issue, you can commence a partition action against your brother asking the court for a sale of the property. It seems like the 50/50 ownership isn't working out. Please contact me 952-897-1707 if you would like to discuss further steps.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/17, 10:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Minnesota