Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Minnesota

My family had collected some coins when we were growing up in South America. We all migrated to America over the years but left the coins behind. The last to come over, my younger brother, brought the coins with him. He told us he had the coins and the family agreed that he should hang on to them for now. However, my brother passed away recently and his wife refused to turn the coins over to our family. What is the legal recourse?

Asked on 6/02/16, 7:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Morgan Kavanaugh Wilkerson & Hegna, PLLP

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You are right to be concerned about protecting your rights to those coins. I would suggest your family take immediate legal action to protect your rights in the coins. Hopefully a mutually beneficial agreement can be reached with your brother's wife. However, this could be complicated by the fact that the coins may be subject to probate court. If the coins were not intended to be owned solely by your younger brother, then your family still has rights in the coins. If you have time today, please feel free to give me a call at 952-897-1707 to discuss your options further, I do provide free initial consultations. Thanks!

Read more
Answered on 6/02/16, 8:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Minnesota