Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Minnesota

I want to fence my property so I can raise beef cattle. My property (20 acres) is in the country so there are no issues with zoning.

The problem is that my neighbors deer hunt and have their deer stands built only a few feet from my property line. I'm concerned that the neighbors may accidentally shoot my cattle.

I live in Minnesota and there is a law prohibiting the taking of a wild animal within 500 feet of a corral or building containing humans or livestock without the owners permission.

Can I legally force my neighbors to move their deer stands back 500 feet from my property line?

Asked on 9/15/13, 6:34 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. I suggest you view the applicable statutes closely and then confer with an attorney who will provide you with concrete advise and a legal opinion. I believe you were referencing the statute that contained further limitations and a definition of 'corral'. One or more other statutes may govern as well. You are welcome to contact me. Know that this website provides general information, not a legal opinion for your personal issue. Generally: Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily

[email protected]



Read more
Answered on 9/15/13, 6:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Minnesota