Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Minnesota

What steps do I need to take and what forms do I need to file for adverse Possession? and do I need to retain a attorney?

Asked on 12/29/12, 6:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sam Calvert Calvert Law Office

Adverse possession is the name given to using a piece of land in an open, notorious, hostile and exclusive manner for (in Minnesota) 15 years or longer. (General description)

If you do that, you are the owner.

But the paper records in the court house will not show your ownership; you need to bring a lawsuit and have a judge determine that you have fulfilled the requirements. Then you record that judgment in the real estate records.

I suppose you can do your own lawsuit, but it would probably go better to have an attorney help you.

Read more
Answered on 12/29/12, 6:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Minnesota