Legal Question in Traffic Law in Minnesota

Open Bottle Ticket

I received an open bottle ticket a couple weeks ago and need to know what the best way to fight it would be. The van was stopped on the side of the road when the officer pulled up behind us. The officer found old beer cans and bottles in the back. The owner of the van owns a bar and the cans and bottles were garbage from the bar. I had been drinking at the bar before the officer stopped behind us but I was not drinking in the van. When the officer got there I was not in the van and I had a can of pop in my hand. I was not the driver either. What is the best way to handle this in court? I have never had anything on my record before and I do not want this on it.

Asked on 6/19/06, 10:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Kelly-952-544-6356 Kelly Law Office

Re: Open Bottle Ticket

It makes a big difference where this happened. There are some city attorneys who I could talk with and who might actually agree to dismiss the charges. Others may be more difficult.

Depending on the facts of your case, you might actually want to take it to trial. Prior to that your attorney might want to bring a motion to have the charges dismissed.

The kind of case you describe is why there are lawyers. You need to hire one. My contact info is at

Read more
Answered on 6/19/06, 11:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Minnesota