Legal Question in Traffic Law in Minnesota

Getting a speeding ticket off my record

I was stopped by a minnesota state trooper and cited for speeding in a 55 m.p.h. zone. If I remember right, my speed was less than 10 m.p.h. over the limit.

If that is the case, according to Minnesota State Statute 171.12 subd 6(a) it should not be kept on my driving record.

Who do I need to contact to get that taken off my record, and also, is there someone who can tell me how fast I was going?

Asked on 3/05/09, 3:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Reiff Reiff Law Office

Re: Getting a speeding ticket off my record

Assuming the statute applies to you and there is no exception, there should not be a need to take anything off your record. The court clerks are not supposed to report the conviction to DPS, which holds the central database. That's what the statute is talking about. There will still be a record of the conviction with the county, though, unless and until you have it expunged.

As far as someone telling you how fast you were going, the officer will claim you went however fast the radar said. You can challenge the officer and radar, and you testify as to how fast you think you were going. It's possible but unlikely you could get an expert to talk about your speed.

NOTE: This is not intended to be legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. No such relationship is intended unless and until a retainer agreement is signed.

Read more
Answered on 3/05/09, 4:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Minnesota