Legal Question in Workers Comp in Minnesota

Should two co-worker's injured in the same incident use the same law firm/ or attorney? Or is it in their best interest to go to completely different firms? And why?

Any additional information would be very much appreciated! Thanx!

Michele H.

Asked on 5/28/13, 1:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

J. Chris Carpenter Chesley Kroon Chambers and Harvey

It depends. Sometimes your story and your co-worker's story may differ. That can create conflicts. I think of the cases as separate cases and would try to keep it that way. So,it is easier to have one lawyer handle the case, but sometimes creates conflicts. I have done it and have had success representing two workers in the same accident.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/13, 1:26 pm
Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. I suggest you read the Minnesota Rules of Professional Responsibility regarding "conflicts of interest" as a starting point. That will help you discern for yourself. Should you need an attorney: Some attorneys, myself included, are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide reduced fee for financial hardship. All the best.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/13, 6:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Minnesota