Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

alchohol, tobacco & firearms

My daughter who lives in Iowa was recently approached by the atf. They told her she was looking at a conspiracy charge and wanted her to work with them to set up other people. They told her they knew her knowledge was minimal but thought she could help them and herself. They never told her of any specific charges against her.She can't afford an attorney so she wants to wait and see if she is arrested before doing anything. My question is: she wants to leave state and come to MS where we are at and wait and see what happens. Do we need to contact an attorney before she leaves?

Asked on 5/07/03, 11:44 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Austin Nimocks Austin R. Nimocks & Associates, P.L.L.C.

Re: alchohol, tobacco & firearms

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Pettigrew.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/03, 11:07 am

Jeffery Navarro Jeffery M. Navarro, Attorney at Law

Re: alchohol, tobacco & firearms

I concur with the other opinions given. Moreover, since she is not under arrest, she is free to leave. However, if she does, she may find that warrants will be issued in the future for her, and she would lack any means of "stopping" these charges from being filed. In other words, she is better off dealing with this problem now.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/03, 1:06 pm
Albert Pettigrew Law Offices Ph 228-875-8736

Re: alchohol, tobacco & firearms

Your daughter should see an attorney immediately for assistance. Under the Constitution she has an absolute right to not incriminate herself. Nevertheless, she and her attorney may still decide that cooperation with ATF may be appropriate in order to protect her family and friends from criminals.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/03, 6:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi