Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

What do i do if my bail bondsman went out of business. I have a felony warrant out of mississippi that i never had a court date for. This happened in about 2005. And what is the distance that they would extridite to

Asked on 5/09/16, 3:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Woodall Wayne Woodall Attorney

The thing to do is to hire a private attorney to contact the office of the District Attorney and track your case. This service should cost you about $500.00 and maybe less. It does not require much time, and time is what you pay for when you hire a lawyer. Ultimately the case will be presented to the Grand Jury for Indictment. Once the Indictment is rendered the Court will attempt to contact the "out of business bondsman" and upon discovering that the bonding company is no longer in existence the Court WILL issue a Warrant for your arrest. You need to avoid the inconvenience and trauma of incarceration by being proactive in this matter. As far as the distance for extradition, a lot of factors are involved but once the State issues the Warrant you ultimately face arrest in your home state and face being "held for extradition" for 3 weeks to a little more than a month" during which period Mississippi determines if it wishes to extradite or not. The primary issue with that decision is the "seriousness of the crime" and if you are charged with a "serious crime" you can expect to be extradited at some point. Otherwise you face constant risk of arrest anytime you pass through a "roadblock" or get stopped for a traffic citation or otherwise encounter law enforcement in your home state.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/16, 7:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi