Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

Is it fraud?

My husband took a job on the road-- he gave me permission to pay his bills out of his account. I did so for a year.. I had to sign his name to all his bills, and checks. One creditor sent an increase in the form of checks on his account... credit limit was increased to 6000.oo dollars, we needed it, and so I signed his name for it. Now 9 months later we are divorcing-- and he says because he didn't acually sign for the money.. he is turning me over for fraud. We have been married ten years.. bank statements and bills for the past year on his account all have my signature of his name... can he turn this around on me and scream fraud??? He is mad because I won't quit claim deed him the house?? I need a lawyer?

Asked on 8/19/02, 8:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jeffrey Padgett Padgett Law Firm, pllc

Re: Is it fraud?

If he gave you permission, then he gave you permission. He can do what he threatens, but your defense is that he gave you permission.

Yes, definately retain counsel.

Jeff Padgett

Read more
Answered on 8/20/02, 9:30 am
Jeffery Navarro Jeffery M. Navarro, Attorney at Law

Re: Is it fraud?

You need a lawyer, particularly for the divorce. As far as the threat of criminal charges are concerned, it sounds as if he is trying to buffalo you. He agreed for you to sing his name to legal documents and checks. What does he say that you did with the money?

Read more
Answered on 8/20/02, 10:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi