Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

My son has been in a adult detention in Gulfport Mississippi for 15 months and is going to court in June on drug charges. He is unconfortable with the assistant public defender that is representing him. Can he ask for a different defender?

Asked on 4/25/13, 6:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Woodall Wayne Woodall Attorney

He can but it probably won't do much good. In fact, such a request may generate ill will on the part of the former Public Defender, not to mention the fact that the replacement Public Defender is going (obviously) to be "good friends with" and "defensive of" the former Public Defender. In a case such as this the only option, if you are not satisfied with the representation, is to pay for representation yourself. In that regard you get what you want for the fee you remit. Asking for a different Public Defender can be done but it is never effective to resolve concerns about the defense attorney's actions

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 12:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi