Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

unlawful touching

My son was married to a woman in mississippi that had a daughter that was 6 years old. His mother in law did not want the two of them together and disliked my son so much that she told the police that he had touched the little girl. The little girl was checked by a doctor and nothing was found. He spent from July of 2004 until August of 2005 in jail before he was even brought into court. He nor I could afford a lawyer so he was appointed one from there and was railroaded. Now it is on his permanent record as a child molesser. There is NO proof that it even happened except for the Grandmothers say so that it happened. Now my son is having a hard time finding a job and a place to live. He has always wanted to be a police officer but because of this it has messed up his life and dreams. He offered to take a lie detector and they wouldn''t give him one. They wouldn''t listen to anything he had to say. They just took the grandmothers word that it had happened. I am his mother, writing this and hoping that you can help,,PLEASE. thank you for your time..-

Asked on 1/08/09, 9:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Neil O'Brien Eaton County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney

Re: unlawful touching

You say he was "railroaded" ... but how did he get CONVICTED (the only way this is "on his permanent record")?

Was there a trial? If so, then why was this just the grandmother's word. There must have been other witnesses.

Did your son plead guilty? If so ... then how was he "railroaded" when he freely and openly admitted to a judge that he did SOMEthing criminal?? If your son admitted to doing something, then that admission IS "proof that it happened" above and beyond what the grandmother said.

Read more
Answered on 1/09/09, 9:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi