Legal Question in Education Law in Mississippi

My daughter is in SPED in high school. Her IEP is in Math/Algebra and reading comprehension. The county makes the children with disabilities take the SATPS state tests in Algebra, Biology, and English. She failed her Algebra exam. Last year I requested that she be placed in the "Work Collection Subject Area Alternative Assessment". Because she has failed the Algebra exam she meets all requirements of the program. My daughter missed passing by 2 points. They want her to continue trying to pass the test while taking Geometry now at the beginning of the new school year. I also learned that they are doing away with the SATPS next year. If they do not agree to put my daughter in that program as request but insist on her doing the Algebra anyway. What can I do to prevent this. I have requestd an IEP meeting to make my case. Do you advise I take an attorney to represent my daughter.

Asked on 8/09/13, 9:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Matusheski Law Offices of Timothy J. Matusheski

Not yet. First put your request in writing to the superintendent. If he ignores you, a lawyer may be able to help you.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/13, 11:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in Mississippi