Legal Question in Family Law in Mississippi

Child support

I have been harrassed by the State of Mississippi regrading paternity of a child. The child's mother signed a sworn affidavit claiming I am the kid's father, however I was 13yrs old when the baby was conceived and I have never met that woman a day in my life,The State has the wrong person and I've tried on nurmerous of occassions to take a paternity test to clear my name,I've talked to my local Dept of Social Service office, I've talked to Mississipi's Dept of Social Service, but I was continually redirected to some where else. Now I have been summoned to apper in Tupelo Ms, circuit court. I do not have the funds go to Mississippi and I have really been stressed about this..what should I do?

Asked on 2/13/09, 3:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mary Milek Milek Law Firm

Re: Child support

I understand your dilemma, but if you canít appear, you should have an attorney there to represent you. And while this may not be an inexpensive proposition, the alternative will be far worse. You can be on the hook for child support, medical insurance, education expenses (including college), etc., in this state until the child reaches 21 years of age (possibly longer if the child is/becomes disabled).

I suspect that you are being summoned in Chancery Court instead of Circuit Court. Check the heading of the document again.

Tupelo is in my practice area. It may be possible for me to arrange the paternity testing and each party go to a local collection site. With negative test results, you may never have to appear in Court or in Mississippi.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/09, 12:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Mississippi