Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Mississippi

Can you claim any property that is vacant? where do you file claim for Adverse possession?

Asked on 1/28/13, 5:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Matusheski Law Offices of Timothy J. Matusheski

You cannot just "claim" land. If you meet the requirements of adverse possession, you can file a suit to quite cloud on title of property. Below find Miss. Code Ann. 15-1-13:

SEC. 15-1-13. Ten years' adverse possession gives title.

Ten years' actual adverse possession by any person claiming to be the owner for that time of any land, uninterruptedly continued for ten years by occupancy, descent, conveyance, or otherwise, in whatever way such occupancy may have commenced or continued, shall vest in every actual occupant or possessor of such land a full and complete title, saving to persons under the disability of minority or unsoundness of mind the right to sue within ten years after the removal of such disability, as provided in section 15-1-7. However, the saving in favor of persons under disability of unsoundness of mind shall never extend longer than thirty-one years.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/13, 6:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Mississippi