Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Mississippi

Real Estate Gifting

If I donate a property value of $140,000 with no appreciation value, what amount can be deducted from taxes. This is a second home that was purchased 2 years ago and never used.

Asked on 5/05/08, 4:59 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Mitchell Roth MW Roth, Professional Law Corporation

Re: Real Estate Gifting


Read more
Answered on 5/06/08, 6:45 pm
Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Re: Real Estate Gifting

If you're asking about Federal taxes, the answer is that you can't deduct anything unless the gift is made to an IRS-recognized charity. If you "donate" the property to a friend, relative or even a stranger that isn't a charity, very likely you'll owe a gift tax. Consult a tax advisor for the rules and details; the subject is fairly complicated. I have no knowledge of Mississippi state taxes.

Read more
Answered on 5/05/08, 5:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Mississippi