Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Mississippi

several years ago I bought land from my at the time girlfriend's father. She had them put her name of the deed. We are no longer together, and I want her name off of my deed but she refuses. How do I get it off.

Asked on 9/05/09, 3:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Woodall Wayne Woodall Attorney

Hire an Attorney to file what is known as a "Partition" lawsuit to request the Court to either "divide the property" or to require the sale of the property and division of the sales proceeds by the Court; Alternatively you could ask the Court to declare her to be a nominal party with no real ownership interests equitably because your funds paid for the property and she was solely listed in case you passed away (for example). As an alternative you would be able to ask the Court to make her pay for 1/2 of the purchase price which was delivered to her Father and you could hold a "lien" to protect your interests to make sure she paid.

Read more
Answered on 9/15/09, 10:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Mississippi