Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Mississippi

Desperate about Mississippi Situation

My blood aunt and uncle raised me as their son. When they died, no will was found. Dad died in 1982 and then mom died in 1998. The family home was located in a seriously wooded area. It is a frame house. There are people living in the house whom I contacted back in March 2007 and informed them to pay the rent to me. As you probably have guessed, I have received nothing from them. Also, they have no telephone either. This is from the sublime to the ridiculous. I would like to open the estate and do whatever is necessary to have the house placed in my name. I also would like to put insurance on the house. I fear that the present occupants will vengefully burn the house down when I legally obtain possession of the house. I do want everything involved in my actions to be legal. Please help me with this.

Asked on 5/28/07, 7:39 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Re: Desperate about Mississippi Situation

You are going to have to contact an attorney in Mississippi to assist you with their probate laws.

Whether you receive the property will depend on whether you are the next of kin to your aunt and uncle. Without a will, the property will be distributed pursuant to the laws of intestacy of the state where they died.

Good luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/07, 9:43 am

Noelle Ansley Noelle Ansley

Re: Desperate about Mississippi Situation

If it's determined that the house is indeed yours, you are also going to have to deal with evicting the unlawful tenants. For that, it would be in your best interest to have an attorney down in that area that can protect your interests.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/07, 11:31 am
Jan Butler Jan R. Butler

Re: Desperate about Mississippi Situation

the prior answers are accurate. you will need to contact a lawyer here for probate and eviction. It also depends on when your aunt and uncle died.

In which county is the property located? I may can make a referral for you.

Read more
Answered on 6/04/07, 5:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Mississippi