Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Mississippi

what rights does a surviving partner have if the other dies, they have been living for over 35 years together, partners in business, but never got married. They have joint accounts, and joint ownership of a house, and his daughter is trying to get him to leave the house to her, and everything to her family

Asked on 9/08/09, 8:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Moore John D. Moore, P.A.

Without a will and a partnership agreement, as well as appropriate powers of attorney in case of disability or health needs, a partner probably doesn't have any substantive rights. I would recommend a will, trust, power of attorney upon disability, and power of attorney for healthcare decisions. You can also title certain property as joint tenants with rights of survivorship for further protection. Please call or email me if you would like me to prepare these documents for you.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/09, 9:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Mississippi