Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

Copyrights after death of holder

My uncle has copyrights on some things and he past away he does not have any kids or wife and his brothers and sisters don't anything to do with them how can I or can I change them over into my name .Their was no Will

Asked on 10/03/03, 10:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Reiter Law Office of Mark A. Reiter, LLC

Re: Copyrights after death of holder

Yes, it is possible to transfer a copyright owner's exclusive rights in the copyrighted work. The key for you is to be sure that you obtain all of the rights (that you need) in the copyright from all of the persons holding ownership interest in the copyright. A copyright is a personal property right, and it is subject to the various state laws and regulations that govern the ownership, inheritance, or transfer of personal property as well as terms of contracts or conduct of business. Transfers of copyright are normally made by written contract.

In order to effectuate the transfer so that all third parties will recognize your ownership interest there are certain steps that must be followed. It would be unwise to venture into this area of the law without being advised by an attorney that is experienced in copyright and intellectual property issues.

If you would like assistance in obtaining the transfer of your Uncle's copyright interests, feel free to give me a call at (816)444-1172.

Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/04/03, 9:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri