Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

Father requests name change of minor

Had twins last winter, not married, father not listed on birth certificate and given my last name. Divorced prior to twins (not same guy) and legally kept ex's name. Father of twins now wants to seek rights and change name of twin minors. Is there any way he can force the name change through the courts without my consent or agreement?

Asked on 7/10/07, 9:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Penny Umstattd-Cope The Umstattd-Cope Law Firm, LLC

Re: Father requests name change of minor

If the biological father files a paternity action in the court he can request the names be changed. However, you do have the right to contest the name changes. It is not an automatic right to have the children's surname be that of the father. If he doesn't go to court you are under no obligation to have the names changed. Good luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/07, 9:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri