Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Missouri


Can you be arrested if you refuse too pay chil support?

Asked on 6/25/03, 12:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Reiter Law Office of Mark A. Reiter, LLC

Re: Maintance

Yes, in Missouri you can be arrested and, more importantly, sent to a correctional facility for failure to pay child support. The charge is called Criminal Non-Support. Depending upon the amount or the arrearage it can range from a Class A misdemeanor to a class D felony. One can be imprisoned for up to five years for a Class D felony. If you are in arrears and facing criminal charges, I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced attorney right away to assist you with your matter. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/25/03, 12:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Missouri