Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Missouri

I had plead guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana and served time and no probation in missouri in 2003. I am told that the conviction can not be expunged because I was not on probation but served time instead, the incident happened 2 days after my 18th birth day about 10 years ago, I had a public defender, I live in different state now and I am currently a registered Nurse, Graduated with lots of honors and research and great MCAT score in order to go to medical schools, this conviction is preventing me from pursuing my dream to be a physician. IS there any way or exception in any form that i can pursue for seal/expungement, even trying to appeal the case???? any attorney referrals? is there any new laws? English is my second language and I was not informed about the consequence of my guilty plea and also told misdemeanor is a simple charge. Please Help..

Asked on 6/15/13, 2:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You may be able to have a guilty plea aside. The present prosecutor may not want to pursue the charge again, or agree to a plea to a lesser (nondrug) offense. You may be able to get the present conviction expunged or sealed. But, the medical schools may be able to see a sealed record. I am not sure who you consulted with before, but you might consult with a different attorney in your area. Your options can be determined by which Court your conviction was in.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/26/13, 10:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Missouri