Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Missouri

My husband and I are currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy. As of 7/9/2010 I will no longer be employed. My emplopyer however is providing severance packages based on years of service. I have been an employee of this company for 26 years. We have discussed with our attorney the process of filing for chapter 7 now. My husbands salary is below the means test of $31,000.00. We have been unable to get specific answers from our current attorney. How will the courts view my receiving a severance package? It will be given in one lump sum payment. I will no longer get a monthly check or income. I would like to have some answers to these questions before meeting with my attorney. Thank you

Asked on 6/29/10, 5:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

As long as you are represented, I cannot give you advice specific to yrou case. Generally, if aperson going through chapter 13, gets a lump sum payment from thier employer, it must be reported to the trustee. If your attorney will not respond to you in the next few weeks, then you might consider changing attornies.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 7/08/10, 6:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Missouri