Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Missouri

I took a loan out from Ford Motor Credit in Missouri in 2011. The last payment was made in November of 2013 and the car was repossessed in September of 2014. I moved to Texas in December of 2014 and have resided here since. FMC did file a lawsuit in St Louis County, MO in March of 2015 for the deficiency balance and the case was dismissed for want of prosecution in September of 2015. I was never served a summons. I have 2 questions. #1 Can FMC file suit in Missouri if I reside in TX, if so do they have to serve me a summons here in TX. #2 If they can't file suit in MO and want to in TX, Which states statute of limitations would apply?

Asked on 8/16/19, 8:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Yes. You can be sued in Missouri but you would have to be served in Texas. The Missouri statute of limitations would apply.

Read more
Answered on 8/17/19, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Missouri