Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

I was charged with stealing from Walmart and got arrested i am 17, it was about $100 in merchandise and this was in late December, i have been getting civil demand letters from Walmart but I looked them up and everyone said not to worry about them. Now I've gotten one from "the law office of Michael ira" but it's still about the $250 for the Civil demand. Should i be worried or just ignore it like I did for the rest of them?

Asked on 5/02/13, 10:06 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You need to consult directly with counsel, before communicating with those sending you correction letters. Many civil practice attorneys offer a free or low cost initial consultation. Find one, in your area, and take all the collection let's and the police report of your arrest. You were smart to seek general advice here. The wise thing now, would be to get advice specific to the particular facts of your mater.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 5/03/13, 7:07 am

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

There is a statute that allows the civil demand. The amount allowed does not depend upon the value of the item alleged to be stolen. In most cases, a collection suit is not filed. So, you may decide to wait it out. On the other hand, paying the civil demand would put this aspect of the case behind you. Most importantly, you should hore an attorney to represent you on the criminal charge. You do not want a conviction on your record. Especially at your age. I have handled many of these and might be able to offer my services for a modest fee. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/13, 3:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri