Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

a cop told me he would not give me a ticket for no license 2 months later i got one in mail can it be droped or what could happen ?

Asked on 4/13/13, 8:05 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Harvath Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation

Hi. I am a Missouri attorney that handles criminal matters and traffic issues as well. I presume that the ticket you received in the mail was for driving without a valid driver's license.

This is a charge that can have fairly substantial penalties associated with it, if you are convicted. It may drastically raise your insurance rates as well.

Typically, an attorney that handles these types of offenses will get in contact with the prosecuting attorney in the county where the offense occurred and work out what is called a "plea agreement". By so doing, it is possible to have your charge reduced to something less serious that will not hurt your permanent criminal record. Typically when the charge is reduced, the penalty associated with the offense will be decreased as well. The fact that the ticket was mailed to you 2 months after the offense, although very slow, will not serve as the basis for having the charge dropped. However, there may be other options available to you .

For convenience, I can be reached via e-mail at [email protected], or by phone weekdays or evenings.

Our website address is: Thanks.

Note: This answer is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege between the user and the attorney responding.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/13, 10:03 pm
Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Your story gives another example of why people should not believe police officers. I would advise you to hire an attorney to represent you on the ticket you received. I have handled thousands of people with tickets over the last 35 years. Please feel free to contact me for a free telephone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 4/15/13, 5:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri