Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

I was involved in an altercation at a campground in which I received a citation for 3rd degree assault as well as 2 other individuals in the other party. I went to speak to them about our children who were not getting along. Our girls 4,5 & 8 and their boys 8 & 10. When I approached them with the girls the adult were immediately confrontational - long story short they assaulted me, I tried to defend myself as there were 2 of them and a third kicking me in the head while I was on the ground. The girls ran to tell my wife and another guy that was with us and they came to diffuse the situation and the other guy was also assaulted. I ended up seeking medical attention the next day and had stitches in my head and a broken nose. The other party I believe is fine. At this point its up to the prosecutor to decide whether to move forward or not. Should I seek legal counsel? Obviously the other party has their own version.

Asked on 10/23/13, 6:35 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You need to consult directly with legal counsel. Hopefully, you can find someone UN your area that can address both the criminal and civil aspects of this matter.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 10/23/13, 6:52 am

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

The above answer is correct. And, the prosecutor has broad discretion in deciding whether to charge anyone with a crime. You might have a claim for damages against the person who assaulted you. I handle both types of cases, and you can contact me for a free telephone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri