Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

probation violation

I'm on probation for not paying child support. Apart of my probation is I have to have a job I was without a job for a couple months. A warrent was put out on me because of that. They said I could get up to 4 years in prision what do you think will be my punishment?

Asked on 8/21/07, 5:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: probation violation

Depending upon what court you are in, and what the exact facts of your being out of a job were, you may get to do some time, or you may be continued on probation. Rememebr that what they really want is for you to pay the child support you owe, and you can't do that from prison. However, if a defendant has been given multiple chances, or if the defendant just quits his employment despite the condition of probation, then the Judge may feel that there is no other choice but incarceration. One more thing, if this was your first charge and you received a suspended imposition of sentence, the judge might convert that into a suspended execution of sentence and hang an actual sentence over your head before placing you back on probation. If that happens and you violate again, the sentence would be carried out under most circumstances. Of course you need the best lawyer you can get, but if you can't afford one, be sure to get the Public Defender appointed to represent you. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/07, 12:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri