Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

Suing the City for Sexual Assault

Hi, I was recently a victim of graphic sexual assault and armed robbery by a police officer in uniform. I reported it to the fbi, and submitted testing for dna. I was wondering how much longer before I will be able to sue the city for negligence and how much will i be able to sue once he is convicted?

Asked on 7/19/09, 9:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Stevens The Stevens Law Firm

Re: Suing the City for Sexual Assault

you do not nescessarily need to wait. that is a decision you should make with a lawyer. the amount that you seek is also a matter to discuss with the lawyer once all evidence is collected. you should contact a lawyer now to start working on the claim

Read more
Answered on 7/20/09, 11:17 am
Michael Harvath Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation

Re: Suing the City for Sexual Assault

Hi. I am a Missouri attorney that handles injury claims all throughout the state. First, keep in mind that there will be two different kinds of proceedings here. First, provided that sufficient evidence is established, there will be criminal charges brought against the officer. The criminal system, unlike the civil system, imposes criminal penalties, and will not result in you obtaining compensation for the injuries that you have suffered and are entitled to. A claim will have to be brought in the civil system by an injury attorney in order to recover compensation for the injuries you have suffered. Generally speaking, the amount of compensation you are entitled to is calculated based on the amount of medical bills you have incurred, any lost wages for time off work, any permanent physical or psychological impairment, and the amount of pain and suffering you have endured. In a case like this, punitive damages would potentially be available as well. In order to begin to make any type of approximation of the potential value of the case, additional details would be needed. What is the approximate amount of bills/costs you have incurred for treatment related to either physical injuries, or emotional injuries (such as therapy)? Did you miss any time from work? Also, there are specific deadlines that are shorter than the typical statute of limitations for filing claims against the city or state. Was this a city police officer, county officer, or highway patrol officer? I can be reached by e-mail at [email protected], or by phone at the number listed in my attorney profile. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/09, 12:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri