Legal Question in Entertainment Law in Missouri

Forms Entertainment business

I have been introducing people in the industy entertainment for years, and I have seen them make money off of my introductions. Now most recently I did this and these people will probably make millions or thousands off of my kindness(stupidity).

Example say I introduced a film director who is looking for some work to a agent who has work or a famous artist or there company they make money , I get nothing but a promise or nothing.

I need advice for what kind of company is this , what legal forms do I need, do I get the fee from the person seeking the job or the person I introduce them too.

Also say I introduce a music producer who is working with a famous sports figure and they are looking for more famous people to produce or to help this sports or celeb. with there career, they meet , make a cd and I don't even get a ticket to the show.

Asked on 11/30/01, 8:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce Burdick Burdick Law Firm

Re: Forms Entertainment business

What you are is a "finder" or an "expediter" and you should be getting a finders fee or an expediting fee. Setting up the business entity is simple, although you would need a lawyer to be sure it is done right. The bottom line question is if you ask beforehand to get a fee as a condition for the introduction, will they pay? If not, this is not a viable business. If yes, you are indeed leaving your money on the table as you walk away and let the others mutually benefit.

What you would call yourself is an agent. You would operating as an agent for either or both of the parties. It is not unusual for some agents to get money from both sides in one of these situations.

Don't do the forms yourself and be sure you have a lawyer when doing deals so the principals are less inclined to try to bypass you or cut you out of a deal.

Read more
Answered on 11/30/01, 9:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in Missouri