Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

College Tuition--Parental Responsibility

I am a grandmother with guardianship of my granddaughter looking for some information about parental responsibilities regarding college tuition and expenses. In 2002, my daughter was murdered and her x did not want the responsibility of raising his children. My husband and I were awarded guardianship of both kids. The judge decreed that all issues between X-SIL and my husband and I, regarding the children would be maintained as per the divorce decree. The divorce decree makes no mention of any post high school educational issues. Herein lies the problem.

We hit a major stumbling block completing and the parentsí portion OF the FAFSA form . Her dad refuses to help her complete the form or supply any information relative to his household and income. He does not want her to continue her education past high school. I told him I would pay for all college expenses in excess of grants and scholarships, but he is adamant. NO COLLEGE.

According to my attorney, there is no way we can legally compell him to submit this information. I can not believe there isn't something we can do to ''encourage'' him to help her.

Asked on 3/23/06, 3:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeffrey Carey Carey Law Firm, LLC

Re: College Tuition--Parental Responsibility

The child's father's obligation to support his child did not terminate with your daughter's death. I would suggest seeking a child support order that included an obligation to pay for tuition while she is enrolled, full-time, in post secondary education. You could also seek back child support since you took custody. Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Jeff Carey

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/24/06, 11:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri